Higher education support services

Higher education gives you a professional qualification with a theoretical focus. You can choose from courses delivered at universities, TAFE institutes and private training providers. The careers and course information centres at any of the institutes can offer you more advice.

Some courses provide specific work skills (such as accounting or medicine) while others provide more generalist skills.

You can complete a university course at a public university or a private higher education provider.

There are ten universities operating in Victoria - eight Victorian public universities, two campuses of the Australian Catholic University (which operates in several states and territories) and University of Divinity (Australia’s first university of specialisation).

A Victorian Government survey shows that about 54 per cent of Victorian students who completed Year 12 in 2013 went straight from school to university to do a bachelor degree course.

You can take an alternative pathway into university by transferring from recognised VET studies or taking part in bridging or foundation programs that help prepare you for university courses.

Pathways to university

Australian Catholic University Pathway Programs are designed to enable you to develop your skills and to make the transition to university study as easy as possible. There are a number of different options you can pursue. Successful completion of these programs can lead to entry to degree level courses.
Deakin University Pathways provide alternative entry options for getting into university if you have not met the requirements for your preferred course.
Footscray City Films has courses that provide excellent preparatory pathways for the VCA Film and Television Degree course, as well as second year entry into Undergraduate Media and Communication degrees at University of Melbourne, RMIT, Swinburne and AFTRS.
La Trobe University - as a Non-Year 12 applicant what you need to do to apply to La Trobe depends on the study you have completed or the work experience you have gained. For example, if you have completed your VCE (or equivalent) or undertaken post-secondary study you can simply apply to VTAC using your academic record. If you have not completed VCE (or equivalent) or undertaken post-secondary study you can sit the Special Tertiary Admissions Test and apply through our Mature-Age Special Entry Scheme.
Melbourne Institute of Technology - if you've missed out on a University, or didn't get the ATAR you needed, MIT Diploma courses can still get you into the course you wanted. The courses provide pathways into the second year of relevant Bachelor degrees at MIT and other universities in Australia.
Melbourne Polytechnic Pathways provide a range of entry and exit points to courses. Pathways can be achieved in a number of ways including linking existing qualifications. For example you may be able to study a different course first to gain the credits needed for entry into your first choice, or you may be able to use your TAFE or training qualification as a pathway to higher education at university.
A Monash College Diploma provides specialised preparation for direct entry to first or second year of specific Monash University degrees. Each Diploma has been developed in consultation with Monash University faculties and academic staff to prepare international students for success. Monash College offers five Diplomas in Art and Design, Arts, Business, Engineering and Science.
Monash University - Admission to Monash is based on competitive selection. In order to assess, compare and differentiate between candidates, scored or graded results are required.
Photography Studies College offers the Bachelor of Photography pathway program that provides a pathway for Advanced Diploma of Photography graduates to undertake a degree conversion into PSC's Bachelor of Photography qualification
Different levels of study at RMIT mean you can explore more than one way of getting the qualification you want. You can also receive recognition for your existing skills and knowledge.
Swinburne University of Technology Pathways can be achieved in a number of ways including linking existing qualifications. For example you may be able to study a different course first to gain the credits needed for entry into your first choice, or you may be able to use your TAFE or training qualification as a pathway to higher education at university.
Victoria University is widely recognised as a leader in pathways that link courses within and between vocational education and higher education. VU's pathways are designed to suit all types of students - whether you have just finished secondary school, are looking for career advancement, want to develop new skills or change your career direction, or are seeking personal development.

If you want to study at university, it’s important to think about course requirements.You should also think about what study would suit your abilities and interests, which course at which university is the best option, how much it will cost and how to pay and opportunities for work after graduation.

For more information, visit the following sites:

Career Trends has fact sheets that show industry trends, training, job opportunities and skills that are in demand.
Victorian Skills Gateway is an online one-stop-shop for vocational training in Victoria. This site enables consumers to easily navigate the extensive vocational training options available across Victoria, searching by occupation, course, study area or training provider. 
Quality Indicators for Teaching and Learning provides relevant and transparent information about Australian higher education institutions from the perspective of recent students and graduates. The site allows you to compare results across universities and areas of study.
Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre helps you work out the best course for you and includes information about distance education and external courses, as well as enrolment times and procedures, scholarships and TAFE or university fees.
On Track is a Victorian Government initiative which surveys school leavers who have left school in the last six months to find out if they are on track to a bright future.
Study Assist provides information to students about Australian Government assistance for financing tertiary study.